Baztab News

Dasht-e-Barchi hospital reopened after carnage

01 Jul 2020 Salam Watandar



KABUL (SW) - The 100-bed hospital in Dasht-e Barchi, west of Kabul, resumed operations about a month and a half after the deadly attack by armed assailants.

Ahmad Javad Osmani, head of the Ministry of Public Health, told a news conference at the hospital in Dasht-e-Barchi on Wednesday, July 01 that the hospital had been rebuilt by the National Development Council at the expense of the government.

Minister Osmani added that 40 doctors and health workers from other hospitals had been assigned to work at the hospital. According to him, the salaries of the hospital's health workers will be paid by the Afghan government.

On 12 May, armed assailants attacked the 100-bed hospital in Dasht-e Barchi, killing 24 people, including mothers and children, and injuring 16 others.

The so-called Islamic State group or Daesh claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

The hospital was previously run by Doctors without Borders or MSF, but the organization ceased operations a month after the attack. About a month after the attack on the hospital, the perpetrators have not been identified, the MSF said.

Minister Osmani said that although the activities of the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) have been suspended at the hospital, the agency is working with the hospital to provide the necessary medicine and medical equipment.

In the past six months, there have been 20 terrorist attacks on health centers across the country, killing 14 health workers and injuring 19 others, the head of the Ministry of Public Health added.

He called on the warring parties to refrain from carrying out terrorist attacks on health centers.


ENDS

Original Link: https://swn.af/english/Article.aspx?a=55858

Open Original News

More from Salam Watandar

Latest News:

Loading