Baztab News

18 dead in Kabul hotel attack, Taliban claim responsibility

18 Apr 2018 Radio France Internationale

"All three attackers were killed," interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish told Tolo News TV earlier Sunday, adding that 153 people hadbeen rescued, including more than 40 foreigners.

But Tolo later tweeted that the attack was not yet over and some of the attackers were still alive.

The attack on #Intercontinental Hotel in #Kabul is not over. Two attackers are still inside the hotel, sources told TOLOnews. Gunfire and explosions are heard from the attack scene. pic.twitter.com/XhhS6qaQTm  TOLOnews (@TOLOnews) 21 janvier 2018

Tolo later announced that the siege was over after 17 hours and cited sources saying that 18 people were killed.

It posted video of special forces sweeping the roof and reported that a number of wounded were being rushed to hospîtal.

Special forces sweep the roof of #Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel for insurgents. pic.twitter.com/w7Baorgvrd  TOLOnews (@TOLOnews) 21 janvier 2018

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack that followed a series of security warnings in recent days to avoid hotels and other locations frequented by foreigners.

Earlier on Saturday, an intelligence official said four attackers armed with small weapons and rocket-propelled grenades stormed the hotel, which is a popular venue for weddings, conferences and political gatherings.

Later officials said there were three attackers, all of whom were killed.

Abdullah Sabet, an official at the communications and information technology ministry, said around 40 IT officials from around the country were staying at the hotel ahead of a conference on Sunday.

Many guests locked themselves in their rooms in an attempt to hide from the attackers.

Authorities are questioning how the assailants got past the hotel's security, which was taken over by a private company two weeks ago.

Danish said they probably entered using a back door in the kitchen.

The Intercontinental was previously targeted in June 2011 when a suicide attack claimed by the Taliban killed 21 people, including 10 civilians.

Original Link: http://en.rfi.fr/general/20180121-kabul-siege-over-all-assailants-killed-government

Open Original News

More from Radio France Internationale

Latest News:

Loading