Baztab News

Government publically apologizes over Kunduz air raid

16 May 2018 Salam Watandar

KABUL (SW): President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Wednesday publicly apologized for the deadly air raid in Kunduz province last month, which claimed multiple civilian lives.

Condoling the loss of civilian lives with the grieving family members at the Arg (presidential palace), President Ghani said unlike ‘conspirators’, the legal government in Afghanistan sees itself accountable and seeks apology for injustice towards the nation.  

He also directed to erect a memorial for the martyrs, building a grand mosque in the area of the air raid and extra care in air raids to avoid repeat of such tragedies. “The Afghan government, and especially the Ministry of Defence, seek apology from the families of the victims over this incident”, Ghani said.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) announced last week, the raid claimed at least 36 lives and wounded 71 more. It noted there were at least 81 children among the victims, besides additional ‘credible information’ indicating higher death toll.

The Taliban cited this deadly raid as one of the main reasons behind their newly launched annual spring offensives.

ENDS

 

Original Link: http://salamwatandar.com/English/article.aspx?a=39698

Open Original News

More from Salam Watandar

Latest News:

Loading